Did you notice your mind getting a little overactive lately? Or are you worrying more than you usually do?
Totally normal in autumn! Here’s why and what to do about it.
As temperatures drop, nature enters the vata season: dryness and cold are not only present in nature but also in our body.
While the body shivers, our mind gets overactive as vata is made up of air and space, the elements connected to movement.
To get back to our calm balanced state, we need to take extra care of our diet and daily habits. Warming, nourishing foods like soups and stews are great this time of the year to keep the body and mind grounded.
But also meditation is a great little habit to introduce into your day in autumn.
And it doesn’t have to be complicated or lengthy: try the 5 minute meditation below for instant calm. Plus it will help warm your cold hands & feet (also common in fall ; )
- sit or stand with your eyes closed
- scan your body – where do you feel tension, where do you feel ease
- now start noticing your breath – is it long and deep or is it high and shallow?
- take a few deeper, longer breaths into the entire body and send out the warmth of your breath towards your arms and legs
- now bring all your attention to your hands – do you notice the energy in your hands? You might feel a buzzing or tingling after a while or nothing at all (which is also fine : )
- do the same thing wih your feet, bring all your focus there and notice if you can feel the energy there
- bring your attention back to your breath – take one more deep full breathe in through the nose and out through the mouth
- open your eyes and take a moment to notice how you feel
Try it and let me know how you feel afterwards in the comments below!